About the CFUW
The Canadian Federation of University Women is an equality-seeking advocacy organization of women working to enhance women’s rights and the lives of girls and women in Canada and around the world. There are over a hundred Canadian Federation of University Women Clubs across Canada. Internationally, the Canadian Federation of University Women is a member of the International Federation of University Women.
Canadian Federation of University Women:
- A 10,0000 strong member-funded, voluntary and non partisan organization of women graduates and students
- A non government organization with special consultative status at the United Nations in regards to women’s rights, and advocacy
- The largest of the 79 member affiliates of the International Federation of University Women (IFUW/FIFDU)
- Belongs to the Sectoral Committee on Education of the Canadian Sub-Commission for UNESCO
- Includes over 100 clubs, promoting fellowships and scholarships for women and girls as well as supporting the CFUW/FCFDU Charitable Trust which awards fellowships for post-graduate education
The Club’s purposes are to:
- Stimulate intellectual activity;
- Encourage the interest of University women in public affairs and afford an opportunity for the expression of a united opinion;
- Guard and improve the economic, legal, and professional status of women;
- Promote the higher education of women;
- Promote understanding and friendship among University women; and
- Participate in the work of the CFUW and IFUW.